One of the things God strongly convicted me during the camp can be found in 1 Corinthians 13 (The Love Chapter).
1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
I just really want to thank God for the experiences He let me have during the camp that illustrate the many truths found in this passage.
v1-3: God illustrated this truth about love in one of my experiences during camp. After experiencing that particular situation, this truth about love seems plain simple. Why is love so important? It's simply because in the absence of love, how many of us would respond to someone operating with spiritual gifts? God gave me this experience during one of the games on Saturday night - the SOS one.. Our group was doing the throw paper ball game for that particular game.. I would say that in our group, some of us were bestowed with logical gifts which allow us to think of and use the best way to complete the game and some of us were bestowed with leadership gifts which facilitate communication and instruction of the best method to the rest of the group. However, I just felt that there seems to be a lack of love being communicated throughout the game until I spoke up. Those giving instructions were not giving them with the gentleness that ought to be there in the presence of love. Instead, their instructions and their leading were filled with frustration as if it's our entirely our fault for failing to catch or throw the ball properly and as if the game was that important that we don't bother about one another's feelings (sorry to my cg for being so blunt, but I have to be honest with my feelings.. also think you have the right to know how what you did affected me.. note also that I'm not trying to put the blame on you cos I'm also just another imperfect person who could only respond in love when I feel loved.. so imperfect people in the cg, let's still be used by God in His perfect will ok? and in the process, also be moulded to become a more and more perfect cg).. I was just thinking of how it could have been easier to achieve the end result had more love been shown during the game during the time of evaluation after the games. If more love had been shown during the communication of the method, it would have been easier to get people including myself on board.. Love is about showing appreciation for the hard work put in even when our efforts seem futile.. Love is about communicating the necessary improvements needed while at the same time helping another see his/her value.. Indeed, love is the one thing that moves people and not whatever skills we may have.
Let me just give this part of my reflection a close by having this disclaimer: The author does not claim that he himself already understood and is practising perfect love but just that he is continually understanding more about and practising a more perfect love. Haha.. as I did not want to judge others at a higher standard than myself, I reflected on how much I've practised love prior to this.. I just want to say sorry to my sheep and ex-sheep, Gen Shen and Jon Foo, for correcting you guys with much lack of love. Just wanna say thanks for remaining brothers-in-Christ who stood by me even though I'm not the most loving guy around. Let's all grow together in love, Amen?
v8: This verse really rang in my heart when I was just thinking about the people who impacted my walk with God.. When people operate in their spiritual gifts to minister to me, I would say that I was truly amazed and encouraged by the presence of God.. These spiritual gifts conveyed that God is truly powerful.. (No points for answering the next question) But how do I know God truly loves me? Harry spoke many words of wisdom but how many of them did I actually remember? sadly None! Matthew spoke many words of encouragement but I also remembered not a single word.. Jun Liang threw many truthful and awe-inspiring challenges, how many did I remember? None as well.. Bruce spoke many prophecies even during service, but I doubt anyone in service actually could remember just one.. But I remember them for one thing, the love they have for God's people of whom I happened to be one.. Even seemingly less powerful people like Si Da, Han Yang and Guo Feng (and especially Han Yang) impacted my life much more than people who could minister powerfully with spiritual gifts! btw Guo Feng and Han Yang both spoke very insightful and inspiring stuff at their respective last shepherding for me.. sadly I remembered none of those words.. Indeed, love never fails.
Just also want to take this chance to encourage my cg to keep up the good work of loving one another (though this love was not that evident when we were playing the game mentioned above) with reference to the time when we prayed for Kairu to receive the Holy Spirit.. I'm sure Kairu was touched to tears not because of our prophecies or our tongues (Kairu, please confirm this) but because of the love we have for her and for one another.. I would also say with much certainty that there will come one day when Kairu will forget about all those prophecies and revelations (or perhaps, that day has already passed) but I would also say with much certainty that she would never forget the love we had for her and for one another! So let's continue to grow in love for one another cos love is the one which never fails.
Just want to encourage those who're in the business of loving people (I guess every brother and sister in church is) to keep up the good work. Your love will be remembered and appreciated.
With much love,
Chingster
P.S. Thanks Hui Min, Tracy and the whole programming team for their service! Think the programme brings out many of those teachable moments and experiences!
No comments:
Post a Comment